Sunday, April 09, 2006

Mozilla, Google, Yahoo! and the web

A friend of mine, let's call him Phil, as that is his name, sent me a link to a Mozilla extension named Tab Sidebar. This prompted me to upgrade Mozilla. I figure my browser usage was split between Internet Explorer (70%) and Mozilla (30%). I also said - what the heck - Mozilla is working better with the Yahoo! Mail Beta and well you know... like most American's I have a soft spot for the underdog. So I set Mozilla as my default browser.
Phil's email prompted me to use Mozilla's tab feature - which I hate to say it - I didn't know existed. I used the tab feature in the Opera browser and really appreciated this approach to web browsing. I downloaded Opera recently so I could test a website I hacked out for my wife's Samba Band. So I added some other cool extensions, such as the Skype Sidebar and the Yahoo! Pictures upload.
Anyway, I now have one instance of Mozilla running with the Yahoo! Mail Beta, Blogspot.com, and Yahoo! Photos as tabs. I could also launch the web version of Outlook to access J&J's access server and also J&J's Sharepoint Portal
This made me realize that without trying I could do much of my work - from any machine that ran a decent browser - independent of operating system.
No wonder Microsoft is worried about the web and scrambling to get all of their applications web enabled.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The views expressed here are my own - unless otherwise stated very loudly in the post - I am not affiliated with any of the products mentioned on the site - use the information at your own risk.


View My Stats